Friday, 1 October 2010


My wife and I had always toyed with the idea of moving to Japan for many years but it was only about a year ago that we finally decided to take the plunge and go for it.

Although initially I had had my reservations  in regards to teaching English as a job, it seemed like the best approach to initially get settled and earning money in Japan. This led me to taking a four week CELTA course in London during May 2010. I took the course to both gain experience in teaching, and for my own peace of mind to get a taste of what I was letting myself in for! Although the course was very tough going I found that I enjoyed the challenge and made some good friends along the way.

We eventually decided that I would stay on in London for 3 months to tie up loose ends while my wife returned to Japan to find a flat, job and generally set things up for both of us there. This turned out to be 3 of the toughest months of my life! Initially I tried to be a man about the whole thing, pretending I was okay and would just get on with things as normal, however the reality was much different! It was only a month before I was weeping into my cornflakes in the morning. I may be exaggerating slightly (I don't eat cornflakes), but I never realised being apart would be so tough, I wished each day away until I could fly out of there. I would like to thank all my friends and family who supported me during that period, Its times like that that make you realise how important good friends are!

After a great deal of hardship, the day finally arrived and after many tearful farewells I was boarding the plane at Heathrow bound for Japan. The flight was reasonably okay, Korean Air have a good selection of movies which meant that the first ten hours to Seoul airport went fairly quickly but the 4 and a half hours waiting at Seoul was a bit of a drag as I was struggling to stay awake. The strangest thing was watching the planes coming and going while listening to 'Selling England by the Pound' by Genesis on my i-pod (They were good once upon a time you know!), the music seemed so out of place.

Eventually I arrived at Kansai airport, tired and slightly delirious and after a relatively brief jaunt through customs, having my suitcase opened and rummaged through for all to see (I haven't got anything to hide honest!), I was reunited with my partner. I don't remember being so elated before in my life! in the thirteen years we have been together, the longest we had been apart for previously was 1 month and that was only earlier this year so I was relieved to say the least.

After a half hour train ride from the airport we arrived at our new home. I had expected to feel very strange upon arrival but for some reason I didn't. Everything seemed perfectly normal, maybe it was because I was with my wife again or because I had been to Osaka a number of times before but I felt quite at home from the beginning. Perhaps its not about where you are but who you are with at the end of the day. Anyhow, at that point I was well in need of a good nights sleep!


  1. Hi Paul!
    I'm so happy that you are enjoying your new life there with your wife! This blog is full of excitement and makes me smile too :)
    Can't wait to seeing you both next time in OSAKA!!
    Kumi x

  2. Hi Kumi

    Glad you like the blog, I'm just watching japanese comedy on TV at the moment!

    Look forward to seeing you both when you come over, lets eat Okonomiyaki!